Friday, February 13, 2009

Twistng the night away

Twisting the night away... the music of the day was the twist... Chubby Checkers... yes I was in grade school and the twist was in... There was the "regular twist" this being such a big hit another came along called the "Peppermint Twist"... I also remember such dances as the "Pony", the "Swim", the "jerk"and the "Monster Mash"... I also remember some kids being a jerk as well as myself at times. There was a TV show called laugh in and there they would have girls dancing in "cages" yes girls dancing in cages was a big thing as were white go-go boots... for as the Nancy Sinatra song went boots are made for walking and for me dancing as well.. As a child, grandma did have aspirations of dancing in a cage someday... alias my dream never came true though but I did have the opportunity to dance on a few tables tops during my youth... this usually occurred after grandma had a drink or two... And here I would like to add a "warning" be careful when you drink you could find yourselves on a table top dancing one day. Back when grandma was young they did not have camera cell phones, so these events with me are lost to history with you my grandchildren there will always be someone in the crowd ready and willing to snap your photo. You do not want to wake up one day and see yourself on utube, or live streamed on some one's website..(When your moms were small I would always tell them be careful...water is ice)...with you grandchildren I tell you be careful... photos will be taken of you... Back to the music... I do not remember any of the pomp over Elvis he was before my time... Frank Sinatra as well... but I do remember the Beatles... yes I watched them preform on the Ed Sullivan show for the first time in the US... I was not impressed they seemed so "Old" to me..Yet after several months of mass media and mass hysteria in regards to them, they did become more attractive to me... Yes I fell victim to mob mentality... but soon recovered and favored the Dave Clark 5 instead... In high school there was also "Rolling Stones" to listen too... hey I still do that now... they are still preforming on stage as I write this to you (kind of creepy looking though) So go out there and have fun listen to the music of your time and dance... stay off tables and out of cages though...

No comments:

Post a Comment