Sunday, January 11, 2009

Nixon, Kennedy and Marilyn Monroe

I was never really into politics, especially as a child in grade school. Yet the Presidential campaign of Richard Nixon and John F. Kennedy was a big deal to those living then. I not so much for I was small and do not remember detail, I think back on this and it is like I have flashes in my mind of certain things. One being when I was in school the candidates Nixon and Kennedy came to Paterson and all the schools had the day off... The candidates were in open top cars and drove down Main Street... I do not have a memory of this as much as I remember being told of this and that I was there.... This election was big because it was the first time there were televised debates, John Kennedy looked great on TV (he was a "pretty boy") always dressed well, good looking man, great sense of humor, fast wit... and Jackie was a stunning woman who photographed very well. Whereas Nixon came across on TV as a bum, and his wife as an angry woman.... Also that Kennedy was a Catholic and there had never been a Catholic as president before, many critics said he would allow the Pope to run the White House if he was elected... But these candidates came to Paterson drove by your great-grandpa's business, I am sure he would have liked them to stop in for a beer. As for Marilyn Monroe she was an actress of this time, a blond bombshell ... I never watched any of her movies nor did I see the "famous singing of Happy Birthday Mr. President" that she did for President Kennedy. But I do have a memory of seeing the front page of the newspaper when she was found dead and the stories of her on TV when that happened. Later it was alleged that she was involved with President Kennedy romantically, history showed this President to be very much a ladies man... I never knew of such things, of course I never really got over the Marconi incident...

No comments:

Post a Comment